Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Chicken, Bacon and Leek Pie




Hi all,

Well it's been a busy weekend and there is lots to tell. It was my birthday on Saturday and we all went out to the skating rink in Millennium Square, it was fun but full of spotty teenagers so not quite the romantic 50's vision I had in my mind! Deano slipped on the ice and now is in hospital with a broken ankle, poor love. We thought it was sprained but no, he has broken his tibia and will need an operation...

Thanks to everyone for all of my lovely presents, I got some heart shaped cookie cutters which will definitely be making an appearance and a brilliant cookery book called 'Spooning with Rosie' which I'm dying to try and will let you know all about.

Tonight's tea had to be quick as it was 4.45 and we had to visit Deano is the ossie at 6 so made a quick pie. It's a bit of a weird one as Deano is away so I could eat meat but it has Quorn chicken in it also! You could either omit the bacon or use real (free range) chicken.

A few rashers of streaky bacon
A bag of Quorn pieces or about 2 fillets cubed
Vegetable or chicken stock
Potatoes
Cheese
Cream - I used Elmlee
Rosemary

Boil potatoes
Fry the leek (I cut in half and then sliced)and bacon until leek soft
Add Quorn and then about 1/2 pint of stock - add the chopped herbs
Add about 3 tablespoons of cream
Simmer until sauce is thick (if necessary add some cornflower)
Mash spuds - I just used butter and milk but you could add a clove of garlic to the boiling water or some mustard.
Put pie mixture in a bowl and top with mash - add grated cheese (I used Gruyere but cheddar is fine) and grill

Ta da instant yummy pie for tea

Enjoy

next post - tales from the hospital bed, Deano is missing my food as he keeps getting a microwave om elate and mash for tea!

2 comments:

  1. Poor Dean! Didn't hear about this at work today... Sounds lovely, I'll be trying this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice and really quick and easy when you can't be bothered! how was the coleslaw?!

    Deano is fine and I think quite enjoying his enforced 'sit out'on the sofa!

    ReplyDelete