Monday, February 22, 2010

Grilled Sardine Croutes


Hello,

I've been buying our shopping from Abel and Cole of late and yes, I know this is poncy and middle class but everything is seasonal, grown mainly in my area and everything tastes nicer, even the baked beans! What it has done has made me consult the books more as I have to order a week in advance so if I buy sardines, I want to know what meal I can make out of them. Saturday's tea was sardines on toast with a bit of nicoise thrown in and it was nice, not yummy and a little dry but if I did it again I would use more oil and dressing. It's another Rick Stein receipe. This would make a really nice picnic lunch in summer.

4 x sardines - gutted and filleted
Olive oil
Pinch crushed chillies
4 slices of rustic bread
1 garlic clove
1 romaine lettuce (I couldn't get this from A & C so used nice lettuce!)
4 vine tomatoes, skinned and sliced
1 roasted red pepper
1 small red onion
2 hard boiled peeled eggs
4 anchovy fillets

Brush sardines with oil and cook on a very hot grill pan or frying pan
Toast bread - rub bread with the garlic
Drizzle olive oil on the bread and then just start to layer everythting up

No comments:

Post a Comment