Friday, January 29, 2010

Fish and Chips with Minty Peas


Hullo, it's Friday night and that means it's fish night! I nearly didn't do this as I couldn't be bothered but I'd bought the fish and honestly it wasn't that much more effort than putting a pizza in the oven.
Last night Dean and I went for a meal to Viva Cuba in Leeds. Our lovely friend Sarah babysat Blix as it's my birthday tomorrow. Sooo a mohito and daquiri and a few glasses of the red stuff meant I felt a bit ropey today and I had the boy and all of his energy to contend with! I decided to make paper mache day of the dead heads as I thought Blix would love getting messy but as normal he put about 2 strips on the balloons and went off to play with his soldiers, leaving me as normal to quite enjoy myself doing this stuff and moaning cos he doesn't. He's just like his dad, no creativity and loves war, well not exactly war but he loves those little plastic soldiers at the moment.

So ingredients are

1 large fillet of fish - I usually go for cobbler or pollack as it's a sustainable and also cheap but you could you any fish such as haddock or cod.
Breadcrumbs - about 3 slices of bread which you have left to go stale.
parsley and lemon juice
potatoes - as many chips as you like
frozen peas
Creme fraise
a few leaves of mint
1 x egg

Wizz up the breadcrumbs in a blender - I have one of those mini blenders so the washing up is minimal. Add a few spring of parsley and S&P and give it another wizz.
Beat the egg and place in a bowl
Cut the fish into strips - what ever size or shape you like - kids like thin fish finger size.
Dip the fish into the egg and then immerse in the breadcrumbs - place on a baking tray, dizzle with oil and a squeeze of lemon.
You can either peel or not peel the spuds it's up to you but cut into chunky chips and place in a freezer bag with a bit of olive oil. It's easier to do this to ensure all the chips are covered in oil. PLace on a baking tray and sprinkle with rock salt.
Oven should be about 200 and place the chips in the oven and cook for about 30 mins or until, golden and soft.
Put fish in the over for about 20 mins.
Cook peas then add to the blender, add a tablespoon of cremefraise and a few leaves of mint and wizz.
Dinner is served!

No comments:

Post a Comment