Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mama's Spaghetti Sauce



I am a mama and this is my sauce.

Tomato sauce, so simple to make and so delicious, why do people buy those jars of dolmio which taste bland and full of sugar?
This is an easy sauce that makes a delicious tea. I've been working today and travelled to Milton Keyes and back but got home to find my man and boy hungry. Deano was fuming as he bought his mum some perfume online which turned out to be from a rogue website and I had visited the lego shop in MK and bought Blixa some Star Wars men so both were occupied and it seemed didn't care if they ate or not..cue mama and her sauce!

2 sticks of celery- chopped finely
1 carrot- diced
1 onion cut into half moons
pinch of sugar
1 tin of anchovies- chopped
2 x tin of chopped tomatoes
rosemary- this is all I had but you could alternatively add thyme or bay leaf

Fry the celery, carrot and celery until soft but not brown
Add tomatoes, anchovies & the oil they came in, sugar and rosemary
Bring to the boil and then simmer for at least 20 mins but could be an hour, the longer you simmer the thicker it becomes and the flavours are more intense! I also added some chopped fresh tomatoes (could be one or as many as you like) which I find adds more juice and flavour but are optional.
Towards the end add a slug of olive oil which just adds to the flavour and gives it a glaze. You don't need to add salt as that comes from the anchovies.
You can blend and i should have but couldn't be bothered as this would give a smooth sauce.
I served with spaghetti which you want to be aldente (a bit of a bite and not sloppy), once cooked add a slug of oil and sprinkle with rock salt.

You could add the sauce to the spaghetti and toss through but I kind of like the heap of sauce on the top with the oiled spaghetti below.

Sprinkle liberally with fresh grated parmesan

I also added black olives because Blix loves them and artichokes because they were in my veg box and needed using up but these are optional and not essential.

Sorry, one more thing, whilst Blix likes wiggelly worms (AKA spaghetti) I served his with Scooby Doo pasta- much more preferable with a mystery machine or monster don't you think?

delicious

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment