Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Chicken Paprikash


Hi all,

Saturday brought a full house with a visit from the Heslops and the Wallaces and their pesky kids.. pesky because my garden was ruined when I looked at it the next day! BUT I have to say in their defence that it was more than likely my Blixa's fault..he was going nuts with excitement.

I woke up with an urge for chicken (cue rude joke from Deano), mainly because my guests were meat eaters, but didn't know what to cook. A cup of coffee and a read of the guardian brought the magical recipe...Paprika Chicken, a Hugh Fernley Whittingstall recipe. The dish was really nice and I served with chunky white bread and roasted baby potatoes but I used supermarket smoked paprika not La Chinata which is my favourite. Let this be a lesson, don't skimp on quality! I think the dish would have been 100 times nicer with the good stuff. Anyway, fairly easy to do and tasty.

1 free range chicken, jointed. (I actually used free range thighs and drumsticks)
S&P
1 tbsp olive oil and 15g unsalted butter
2 onions diced
1 clove garlic minced
2-3 tbsp sweet paprika
1 tsp hot paprika
1 tbsp plain flour
3 tomatoes, cored, deseeded and chopped
350ml chicken stock
2 red peppers - cut into think strips
Handful chopped parsley
140ml sour cream

Season the chicken and brown in a large, heavy bottomed, hot pan with the olive oil then set aside, you may need to brown in batches.
In the same pan saute the onions for about 15 mins until soft then add the garlic, flour,paprika, and stir. Then stir in the tomatoes and stock.
Return the chicken to the pan and simmer for about half an hour. Add most of the peppers and parsley and simmer for another 30 mins.
Finally take a scoop of the chicken broth and add the sour cream, mix well and the pour back into the pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment