Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Blackened Tofu


Hi all,
1000 apologies for being rubbish and not posting for what seems like ages. For those of you that don't know me that well my job can get a bit busy at certain times of the year and this has been one of them. I put together the Argos catalogue, well about 150 pages and together with my colleagues we put together about 800 pages of it! at this time of year the book is starting to go to print so it has meant long days and weekends so I simply haven't been cooking that much of interest. Anyway, here I am again with a new recipe. I think Yotam Ottolenghi is my favourite cook at the moment and he should pay me for putting all his receipes on this blog or give me a signed book at the very least...! (Deano if you are reading this a meal at his restaurant for my birthday please?)
Tofu, that pesky stuff you get with your Chinese and tastes a bit bland...I like tofu, always have and love it in the Tom Yum or in a curry but I was pleased to find this new recipe where I could try something new. Its easy and would be great for the vegetarian option if you are cooking a meal for mates. I didn't have any spring onions...
You need a glass of water with this and my lips were burning for ages...

serves 4
800g firm tofu - cut into cubes
Veg oil for frying- fill the pan up to about 5mm height
Cornflour- for dusting the tofu
150g butter
12 shallots- finely sliced
8 mild red chillis - thinly sliced
12 garlic cloves - crushed
3 tbsp chopped ginger
3 tbsp sweet soya sauce
3 tbsp light soys sauce
4 tbls dark soya sauce
2 tbsp caster sugar
5 tablespoons crushed black pepper
16 sm spring onions cut into 3cm segments

Pour oil into pan, toss tofu in cornflour and deep fry until golden brown, if you have a small pan then do in batches to avoid stewing and mulching together. Once cooked transfer to kitchen paper to drain.
Melt the butter in a pan and add the shallotts, chilli, garlic, ginger and saute on a medium low heat for about 15 mins.
Add all the soya sauce and sugar and finally the black pepper.
Add tofu back to the pan along with the spring onions and cook for about a minute then serve with steamed rice. The rice is lovely with this as it's so bland. Yummy!

We are going camping this weekend so I'm hoping to post some cowboy food recipes

Pirate food


No comments:

Post a Comment